Have you ever known what it feels like to have a powerful cartridge yet not possessing the best rifle and scope to pair it up with? It almost feels like owning the best rifle only to have your hunter’s license taken away. While the latter rests in your hand, we promise to take care of the former.
Anyone who possesses the .338 Lapua Magnum would have spent hours browsing, researching, and experimenting to figure out the best rifle as well as the best scope for 338 lapua magnum. 338 Lapua Magnum stole the limelight with the military expanse in the Afghan and Iraq war.
Its unmatchable accuracy at long-range shooting made it the ideal tool for any sniper. Furthermore, its capacity to dig its way through metallic armors made it much more reliable as well as target efficient.
While the .338 Lapua Magnum had unbreakable ties with the military field, it cannot be denied that the cartridge did work wonders for the long-range hunter as well. Its large size, as well as exceptional high-power, makes it a favorable tool for long-range animal hunting, especially for shooting targets that weigh considerably well and are marked as dangerous game animals.
The potential of .338 Lapua Magnus does not require debate, but the scope to pair it up with does. We must aim before we shoot. Hence the optical prowess of scope is deemed as significant as the capacity of a cartridge. Good optical capacity as well as good build in order to bear with the high recoil energy is equally essential. As promised, we will make this daunting task of choosing from the umpteen options in the market less of a nightmare with our compilation of best scope for 338 Lapua Magnum.
Top 6 Best Scope for 338 Lapua Magnum
|Vortex Crossfire II||6-24x50||Pocket Friendly||Click Here|
|Vortex Viper HS-T||6-24x50||Ultimate Long Distance Experience||Click Here|
|Trijicon AccuPoint||5-20x50||All Rounder||Click Here|
|Primary Arms Platinum Series 6||6-30x56||Perfect Mid Range Scope||Click Here|
|Steiner T5Xi||5-25x56||Best Long Range Scope||Click Here|
|Leupold VX-5HD||3-15x44||Best for all Light Conditions||Click Here|
1. Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x50mm AO Rifle Scope
Like all the various rifle scope models that come from the American veteran-owned manufacturer, Vortex Crossfire II is designed with an aerodynamically sound structure. This makes it solid in appearance as well as smooth in functionality.
With a fully multi-coated objective lens of 50mm diameter and a fast-focus eyepiece, the Vortex Crossfire II scope guarantees optimum light transmission and optical clarity. The long eye relief feature adds to its promise of user-friendly handling. Its Second Focal Plane reticle ensures better magnification as well as clarity without any alterations in the reticle readings.
Molded out of aircraft-grade aluminum and protected with nitrogen purged and sealed with an O-ring, the Vortex Crossfire II promises extended durability as well as waterproof and fog proof operation.
2. Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50mm Riflescope
Another model from the Vortex products, Vortex Viper HST is best known for its possession of the additional feature of Hunting Shooting Tactical Riflescopes. The 24x objective lens magnification power and a combination of hunting, as well as tactical scope features, make it ideal for long-range clarity.
The advanced windage and elevation features along with the hashmark styles Second Plane Focal reticle ensures a clear and static image for long-range as well as moving target leads. The adjustable elevation and windage turret makes it easier to make continuous shots at varying distances. Like the aforementioned model, the Vortex Viper is also made out of high-quality aircraft-grade aluminum.
3. Trijicon AccuPoint 5-20×50 Rifle Scope
Trijicon AccuPoint is definitely an all-rounder! What makes this rifle scope unique and hence the best scope for 338 Lapua Magnum is the ability to make itself favorable not just for long-range shooting but also in all weather conditions.
With an Aluminum outer body, the Trijicon AccuPoint has a dual-illumination system that does not require any manual adjustments. Powered by fiber optic technology (battery-free!), it automatically adjusts the brightness based on the external environment. Thereby the scope ensures that there is no over-abundance of light.
A good magnification level coupled with a full multi-coated anti-reflective objective lens ensures optimum clarity and light transmission with zero distortion. The capped adjusters make sure that there are no accidental alterations in the windage and the elevation adjustments.
4. Primary Arms Platinum Series 6-30x56mm FFP Rifle Scope
With a First Focal Plane reticle, the Primary Arms Platinum Series Rifle Scope ensures that the magnification level remains unaltered at all magnification levels. The maximum magnification of 30x and an objective lens of diameter 56mm, Primary Arms promises the best light transmission as well as magnification prowess. The clarity of the lens is a much-praised feature
A unique feature of the product is high-quality night vision compatibility. The brightness adjustment of the scope works in such a manner that the first 2 of the 11 scales in brightness adjustment enables night vision compatibility. The multi-coated lens and glare shade ensures the best performance in all light settings. It has easy to adjust turrets that comfortably function at zero stop and zero-reset positions.
5. Steiner T5Xi 5-25x56mm SCR Reticle Scope
Steiner has reserved a higher place for itself in terms of its exemplary precision even at high-end magnification as well as varied weather states. Built with a 5-25x magnification power, the Steiner has a First Focal Plane Reticle. The aspect of precision is guaranteed by its stellar accuracy which provides features like low profile side parallax adjustments and razor-edge image clarity.
Its battery-powered illumination system has an extensive option of seven levels of intensity for daylight and one of the four illumination options for nighttime. Moreover, its Special Competition Reticle not only enhances the ease and comfort in readings but also ensures accuracy. It is aptly designed for shooting co petitions as well as extensive practice sessions.
6. Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44mm CDC-ZL2 Side Focus Riflescope
Leupold scope stands out owing to the power and precision it promises. The scope made out of 6061-T6 Aluminum has a magnification range of 3-15x which clearly doesn’t meet up with the others discussed in this list.
But the scope makes up for it with its 44mm objective lens with high light transmission capacity and Light Management System. The Blackened Lens Edges ensures that unwanted glare and diffusion do not affect the optical capacity and the Twilight Max Light Management System provides edge to edge HD lens clarity in low lit surroundings.
The windage and elevation adjustments are done through a zero lock custom dial system that can be set prior to suit the function of .338 Lapua Magnum. It also has an added feature of good eye relief capacity.
Things to look for when you are purchasing a scope for 338 Lapua Magnum
While personal preferences like kind of target and time of practice or even the amount of money one is willing to spend on a scope may vary, some universal factors must be considered while buying a scope for 338 Lapua Magnum.
- Magnification: Since the .338 Lapua Magnus is all about long-range shooting, remember that a scope that guarantees the best magnification is required. The higher the magnification power, the better the view you get through the eyepiece of the scope.
- Lens: Merely getting highly magnified images is not enough. The clarity and accuracy of an image rest upon the amount of light that can be transmitted into the objective lens. A lens with a higher diameter value will have a higher transmission power. Along with this look for lens coatings and glare reduction features.
- Reticle: Since the target would be viewed from a long distance, proper reticle markings and accurate readings of reticles become necessary. Factors like holdover and bullet trajectory predictions are vital to make a good accurate shot.
- Eye Relief: This is undoubtedly a must check feature! You wouldn’t want to spend a lot on the scope and end up hurting yourself. Especially when the .338 Lapua Magnum has high recoil energy.
- Durability: Given that you invest so much, assurance of longtime sustenance is not too much to ask. Look for good outer coating for your scope as well as your lens. This is to make sure that the scope will actually last in all weather conditions and is not affected by external conditions.
- Turrets: Know your needs before selecting a turret feature. While capped turrets avoid accidental changes, it is not easy to use for someone who needs to constantly change the adjustments on the scope. Since most long-distance shots require changes in scope adjustments, think before choosing a capped turret. Otherwise, go for a high profile turret knob that is easier to handle.
- Weight: Scopes of high lens diameter will weigh more. Hence calculate the amount of recoil effect that can be handled and choose accordingly. Make sure that the choice of scope is suitable for your mode of shooting – mobile or stationary.
Always remember that your .338 Lapua Magnum will fit equally well with all the aforementioned scope picks. What adds utility to a scope is the individual’s needs and specifications. The wand may choose the wizard in the wizarding world but in reality, the cartridge will not choose the scope. You need to do that.
Research well and figure out your needs. Accordingly, get a scope that best fits for a 338 Lapua Magnum. Keep factors like long distance and optical prowess in mind. The market is your playground. Dig in!